24-hour Help Line
You can call 617-253-4481 for guidance on what to do if you or a family member has an urgent medical problem.
When you call, a triage specialist will help you in one of the following ways:
- Answer your questions, give you advice, and/or explain what you should do immediately at home
- Ask you to come to MIT Medical’s Urgent Care Service
- Direct you to the nearest emergency room or to one of our affiliated hospitals.
Urgent Care Service
MIT Medical’s walk-in Urgent Care Service is open from 7 a.m.–11 p.m. every day of the year for urgent, but non-life-threatening, emergencies. Examples of urgent conditions include high fever, earaches, or sprains.
Pediatric coverage is normally available from 8 a.m.–6 p.m. on regular business days and from 10 a.m.–6 p.m. on holidays and weekends. Call 617-253-4481 before coming in to find out if a pediatric clinician is available.
Eligibility and cost
All members of the MIT community are eligible to use the Urgent Care Service:
- Employees and family members covered by the MIT Traditional and MIT Choice Plans will have a $10 copay.
- MIT students and affiliates and their covered family members will have no copay or other charge.
- For benefits-eligible employees covered by outside insurance and for Medicare-eligible retirees, benefits are determined by individual coverage, and you may be billed for any copayment, coinsurance, or non-covered services. Patients covered by outside insurance must register and provide insurance information when using MIT Medical services for the first time.