If you’re covered by one of the MIT employee health plans or the Student or Affiliate Extended Insurance Plans, you’ll have a copay when you fill a prescription here. If you have another insurance plan, check with your plan to find out if they will cover prescriptions filled at the MIT Pharmacy; if so, you may fill your prescription at the MIT Pharmacy, pay the full price, and then submit a claim for reimbursement. For more information, see Using the MIT Pharmacy: Frequently Asked Questions.
A new prescription may be electronic or written on paper. Here’s how to get it filled:
- Electronic prescriptions: When your MIT Medical provider prescribes a new medication, they will usually send the prescription to the MIT Pharmacy electronically. Outside clinicians can also submit prescriptions electronically to MIT Pharmacy. When you’re ready to pick up your prescription, just stop by the MIT Pharmacy, tell us who you are and what you need, and we’ll call your name when it is ready.
- Written prescriptions: If you have a written prescription from an MIT Medical provider or an outside clinician for whom you have an approved referral, just stop by the MIT Pharmacy, give your prescription to a member of the pharmacy staff, and we’ll call your name when it’s ready.
If your provider has sent the prescription electronically, just call the MIT Pharmacy at 617-253-1324 to ask that it be filled and sent to Lexington. If you have a new written prescription, you can drop it off at the front desk at MIT Medical/Lexington. Make sure you have set up a pharmacy account using a credit card or FSA card. You can do that by calling 617-253-1324.
There are several ways to order prescription refills:
- 24-hour prescription refill line: Call 617-253-0202 any time, day or night, to order refills using your prescription number. If refills are available, your prescription will be ready for pick-up the next business day. If the prescription requires a renewal authorization from your provider, the pharmacy will contact the provider for you. Allow an additional one to two business days for your provider to issue the prescription renewal. For pick up at MIT Medical/Lexington, follow the prompts on the refill line to indicate that you want your prescription sent to Lexington.
- Online prescription refills: Request prescription refills and renewals online using HealthELife, MIT Medical’s online patient portal. Click on the “Prescription Renewal” link for both refill and renewal requests. From there, you can see your prescription history and request a refill or renewal. If refills are available, your prescription will be ready within one business day in most cases. If the prescription requires a renewal authorization from your provider, the pharmacy will contact the provider for you. Please allow an additional 1-2 business days for your provider to issue the prescription renewal. For MIT Medical/Lexington pickup: Make a note in the comment field specifying “Lexington” or “Lincoln Lab”.
- At the MIT Pharmacy. Stop by the pharmacy on the first floor of MIT Medical/Cambridge and give your prescription information to a member of the pharmacy staff.
Getting your prescription
You can pick up your prescriptions at the MIT Pharmacy on the first floor of MIT Medical/Cambridge (E23) or at MIT Medical/Lexington. You can also arrange for home delivery of many medications for an additional fee (some restrictions apply).
- Cambridge pickup: Follow the directions above for submitting your order or refill, and then pick up your medication at the MIT Pharmacy on the first floor of MIT Medical/Cambridge (E23) within 14 days. If you have not picked up your prescription within one week, and we have your phone number, we will call you to remind you to pick it up. If you don’t pick up your order within 14 days it will be cancelled and the medication will be returned to stock.
- Lincoln Laboratory pickup: Call 617-253-1324 to provide your payment information, and then follow the directions above for submitting your order or refill request. You will need to provide us with new payment information if your payment information changes, or if it has been more than six months since your last charge at the MIT Pharmacy. During regular workdays, prescriptions from the MIT Pharmacy are delivered to MIT Medical/Lexington for patient pickup several times a day, and we can deliver most prescriptions within 48 hours of your order.
- Home delivery: The MIT Pharmacy can send most prescriptions via UPS to any address within Massachusetts (not a P.O. box) for an additional charge. Call us at 617-253-1324 to provide a mailing address and credit card number (Visa or Mastercard only) to cover the prescription copay and mailing costs. We cannot mail federally controlled substances or medications requiring refrigeration.