A new prescription may be electronic or written on paper. Here’s how to get it filled:
- Electronic prescriptions: When your MIT Medical provider prescribes a new medication, he or she will usually send the prescription to the MIT Pharmacy electronically. When you’re ready to pick up your prescription, just stop by the MIT Pharmacy, fill out a prescription request form, place it in the “Waiting” box, and we’ll call your name when it’s ready.
- Written prescriptions: If you have a written prescription from an MIT Medical provider or an outside clinician for whom you have an approved referral, just stop by the MIT Pharmacy, place the prescription in the “Waiting” box, and we’ll call your name when it’s ready.
- For Lincoln Laboratory pickup: If your provider has sent the prescription electronically, just call to request that it be filled and sent to Lexington. If you have a new written prescription, drop it off at the front desk at MIT Medical/Lexington.
There are several ways to order prescription refills:
- 24-hour prescription refill line: Call 617-253-0202 any time, day or night, to order refills using your prescription number. If refillable, your prescription will be ready for pickup the next business day. If the prescription requires a renewal authorization from your provider, the pharmacy will contact the provider for you. For Lincoln Laboratory pickup: Follow the prompts on the refill line to let us know that you want your prescription sent to Lexington.
- Online prescription refills: Request prescription refills and renewals online using FollowMyHealth @ MITMedical, MIT Medical’s online patient portal. Just click on the “My Health” tab, and choose the “Medications” link. From there, you can see your prescription history and request any refills. If the prescription requires a renewal authorization from your provider, the pharmacy will contact the provider for you. For Lincoln Laboratory pickup: Make a note in the comment field.
- At the MIT Pharmacy. Stop by the pharmacy on the first floor of MIT Medical/Cambridge, fill out a prescription request form with the medication name or prescription number, place it in the “Waiting” box, and we’ll call your name when it’s ready. Or, if you’d like to pick up the prescription later, make a note of the time you will return, and place the form in the “Not Waiting” box.
Getting your prescription
You can pick up your prescriptions at the MIT Pharmacy on the first floor of MIT Medical/Cambridge (E-23) or at MIT Medical/Lexington. Or, for many medications, you can arrange for home delivery for an additional fee.
- Cambridge pickup: Follow the directions above for submitting your order or refill, and then pick up your medication at the MIT Pharmacy on the first floor of MIT Medical/Cambridge (E-23) within 14 days. If you have not picked up your prescription within one week, and we have your phone number, we will call you to remind you to pick it up. If you will not be able to pick up your prescription within 14 days, call us at 617-253-1324 to cancel the order.
- Lincoln Laboratory pickup: Call 617-253-1324 to set up an MIT Pharmacy account using a credit card or FSA card, and then follow the directions above for submitting your order or refill. During regular workdays, prescriptions from the MIT Pharmacy are delivered to MIT Medical/Lexington for patient pickup several times a day, and we can deliver most prescriptions within 48 hours of your order.
- Home delivery: The MIT Pharmacy can send most prescriptions to any address in the United States (not a P.O. box) for an additional charge of $7. You can either fill out the home delivery form and return it to the pharmacy with payment, or call us at 617-253-1324 to provide a mailing address and credit card number (Visa or MasterCard only) to cover the prescription copay and mailing costs.