MIT Optical has reopened in its new, permanent home on the first floor of MIT Medical (Building E23).
The service is available by appointment only.
MIT Optical is a full-service optical store specializing in quality eyewear and frame repairs for the MIT community at a reasonable cost. We offer hundreds of eyeglass frames at heavily discounted prices, including major brands and designer frames from all over the world. We even have frames costing less than $100. We also offer a large selection of specialty eyewear for swimming, cycling, scuba diving, racquet sports, and other activities.
Reopening during the COVID-19 pandemic means following new precautions and workflows to ensure that every patient has a safe experience when visiting MIT Optical:
- By appointment only. To make an appointment, dial 617-258-LENS or send an email to MITOptical@med.mit.edu.
- Masks required at all times for staff and patients.
- New check-in procedures. When you arrive at MIT Medical, we’ll take your temperature and ask a few health questions.
- Two customers at a time with social distancing. Please let us know if someone is coming to your appointment with you, so that we may schedule accordingly.
- Gloves are mandatory for handling any frames.
- Enhanced sanitization procedures:
- All frames are cleaned with a disinfectant solution.
- All equipment is disinfected between appointments.
- All surfaces are disinfected between appointments.
- Hand sanitizer is available on each dispensing table.
Ordering prescription safety glasses at MIT Optical
- Get approval from your supervisor or principal investigator (PI). If you don't have approval, MIT Optical will charge your credit card for part of the cost. To make sure MIT pays for your glasses, you need to complete the top two sections of the prescription eyeglasses order form — especially the cost object/general ledger account numbers.
- Make sure your prescription is up to date. Your prescription can be from your own eye doctor or from MIT Medical’s Eye Service. But you can’t use a prescription that is more than two years old.
- Make an appointment. Call 617-258-5367 or send an email to MITOptical@med.mit.edu. Appointments are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8 a.m.–5 p.m. You must have an appointment; walk-ins are not accepted.
- Be ready for your appointment:
- Email the order form before your appointment.
- Bring your prescription with you to your appointment.
- When you arrive at MIT Medical (E23), someone in the lobby will take your temperature and ask you a few COVID-19 screening questions. After that, someone will escort you to the MIT Optical office.
- Get your new safety glasses. MIT Optical will let you know when your glasses are ready (usually 7–10 business days) and will make an appointment for you to pick them up. They will make any necessary adjustments to your glasses when you pick them up. You will need to sign for the glasses when you pick them up.
Contact lenses are available through MIT Medical’s Eye Service.