Registration is now open for getfit, a 12-week, team-oriented fitness challenge open to the entire MIT community, including students, faculty, staff, affiliates, and family members.
During the challenge, teams and individual participants who meet weekly exercise goals are eligible for weekly prize drawings, as well as several end-of-challenge awards. Participants can also sign up for fitness classes and events—and every participant gets a free T-shirt.
Teams consist of five to eight members. To be eligible for prize drawings, participants must log their exercise minutes on the getfit website each week before Monday night at midnight.
- Wednesday, January 8, 2020, noon to 1 p.m.: Kick-off events are in Cambridge (Lobby 10 on campus) and Lexington (Lincoln Laboratory Cafeteria). Staff from getfit will be available to answer your questions and provide information about local fitness options. You’ll also have the chance to win door prizes.
- Sunday, January 26: Last day to create a team or change a team name. Form a team with people you know—including family members at home—or visit the “find a team” forum, where you can connect with teams looking for members or individuals looking for teams.
- Sunday, February 2: Last day to invite people to join your team or accept an invitation to join a team.
- Monday, February 3: The challenge begins.
New this year:
- View past years’ results: If you’ve participated in getfit before, you can now see how you’ve done in past challenges.
- During the off-season and registration, click on “My getfit history” in the menu.
- During the challenge, from your dashboard, click on “My Progress,” then “My Progress - Past Years.”
- Use getfit like an app: You can use getfit on your smartphone “like an app” by saving getfit to your homescreen.
- Log late minutes: You may enter minutes for the previous week, even if it’s past the Monday night deadline. These minutes will show up in your personal and team totals; however, they will not count toward weekly prizes.
- Name your own activity: When logging your minutes, if your activity isn’t listed, just type it in. It will be recorded in the system so you can choose it next time you log your minutes (and it won’t display for anyone else).
getfit is presented by MIT Medical, the MIT Health Plans, and Community Wellness at MIT Medical, with major sponsorship from the MIT Department of Athletics, Physical Education, and Recreation, and the MIT Federal Credit Union.