Teams consist of five to eight members. To be eligible for prize drawings, participants must log their exercise minutes on the getfit website, re-designed this year to be fully responsive on mobile devices.
- Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2017, noon to 1 p.m.: Kick-off events in Cambridge (Lobby 10 on campus) and Lexington (Lincoln Laboratory Fitness Center). Staff from getfit will be available to answer your questions and provide information about local fitness options. You’ll also have the chance to win door prizes and to complete a fitness assessment that you can repeat at the mid-point and closing events to measure your progress.
- Sunday, January 22: Last day to create a team or change a team name. Form a team with people you know—including family members at home—or visit the “find a team” forum, where you can connect with teams looking for members or individuals looking for teams.
- Sunday, January 29: Last day to invite people to join your team or accept an invitation to join a team.
- Monday, January 30, 2017: The challenge begins.
A new website
You’ll notice a whole new look when you use the getfit website this year. In addition to being fully responsive on mobile devices, new features and changes include:
- New sign-in process. This year, instead of using MIT Touchstone, you’ll create an account and sign in as you probably do with other websites. If you’re a co-captain, though, you’ll still need to sign up with an email address that ends in mit.edu, draper.com, or broadinstitute.org.
- Set personal goals. In addition to striving to meet the getfit goals—which is how you can qualify for prizes—you may also set your own personal weekly goals and track your progress on the website.
- Improved graphs and leaderboards. We’ve redesigned and simplified the graphs and charts showing your personal and team progress and overall results.
- A new weekly deadline. Minutes must be entered each Monday by 11:59 p.m. EST, rather than Tuesday as in the past.
- No late-entered minutes. In past years, we allowed members to enter minutes for previous weeks after the weekly deadline, and late-entered minutes counted toward overall results and end-of-challenge prizes. This year, participants will not be allowed to enter minutes for the previous week after the Monday night deadline.
getfit is presented by MIT Medical, the MIT Health Plans, and Community Wellness at MIT Medical, with major sponsorship from the MIT Department of Athletics, Physical Education, and Recreation and the MIT Federal Credit Union.