- Choose a health plan. If you haven’t already selected a plan, that’s your first step. MIT offers two employee health plans: the MIT Traditional Health Plan and the MIT Choice Plan. Both allow you to choose a primary care provider on campus. If you need help figuring out which plan is right for you, take our quiz!
- Choose a PCP. Choosing a primary care provider (PCP)—either a nurse practitioner or a physician—is the first step toward getting the care you need. Start by browsing available PCPs. Use the drop-down menus to filter your choices; for example, choose “Cambridge” under “Location” and “Primary Care” under “Service” to find PCPs for adults on campus. If you want more information about a particular PCP, just click on his or her name. That will open a page with more information and a button that says, “CHOOSE THIS PCP.”
- Transfer your medical records. To transfer your medical records from your previous provider to MIT Medical, just download and complete the Authorization for Release of Protected Health Information (Medical Record) to MIT Medical. Then send the form to the doctor or facility who will be transferring your medical record to MIT Medical.
- Sign up for HealthELife. With our online patient portal, you can request appointments and prescription refills, securely communicate with your healthcare providers, and more. Signing up is easy. Just stop by the front desk, we'll ask you some identifying questions, and you’ll receive an email confirmation with instructions for activating your account online.
Your first visit
If you are seeing your PCP for the first time, you will need to fill out a medical history form. You can download the form in English, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, or Korean. Print the form, fill it out at home, and bring it with you to your first appointment.
- If you’ve already chosen a PCP, just call his or her office directly, and explain what you need.
- If you don’t have a PCP yet, call 617-253-4481. Tell us as much as you can about why you are making the appointment. That way, we can schedule enough time for you with the right clinician.