As an MIT affiliate, you can call MIT Medical’s 24-hour Help Line at 617-253-4481 to get advice about an urgent medical problem. You can use our interpreter service when you call. If a clinician is not readily available, we will take your number and call you back within an hour.
When you speak with the clinician by phone, he or she will help you in one of the following ways:
- Answer your questions, give you advice, and/or explain what you should do immediately at home.
- Ask you to come in right away.
- Direct you to the nearest emergency room or one of our affiliated hospitals.
If you can’t take care of the problem at home, you will need to see a doctor or nurse practitioner. If you have the MIT Affiliate Medical Plan, a clinician at MIT Medical can see you. You have two options at MIT Medical:
- Urgent Care: Urgent Care Service in Cambridge is open from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. M–F, and 10 a.m.– 4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Due to the COVID-19 emergency, we are suspending our walk-in service for Urgent Care. To make an appointment with Urgent Care, call 617-253-1311.
- Same-day appointment: Call your primary care provider (PCP) or—if you don’t have a PCP—call MIT Medical at 617-253-4481 to speak with a clinician and explain your problem. Very often, we can give you an appointment the same day, although the appointment may not be with your PCP. Instead, it will be with another provider who has time in his or her schedule that day.
Don’t have the MIT Affiliate Medical Plan? See “Getting care if you don’t have MIT insurance.”