• 24 hour numbers
  • Urgent Care
    • 617-253-1311
  • Urgent Mental Health Concerns
    • 617-253-2916
  • Violence Prevention & Response
    • 617-253-2300
  • All contact numbers
  • Close
Alert icon

Coverage for Mental Health Services

Mental health and counseling services provided at MIT Medical are included with tuition. Services outside of MIT Medical are covered by your supplemental insurance plan—either the MIT Student Extended Insurance Plan or your other comprehensive plan.

Accessing services on campus at MIT Medical

Visits to MIT Medical’s Student Mental Health and Counseling Services are available to registered MIT students with no copay or other additional costs. These services are included in your Institute fees; your health insurance will not be billed.

Mental Health services outside MIT Medical and out of area

When you see a clinician outside MIT Medical, those services will be covered by your supplemental insurance plan—either the MIT Student Extended Insurance Plan or your other comprehensive plan.

  • If you are covered by the MIT Student Extended Plan and see a mental health clinician who participates in the Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) PPO, your first 52 visits in a calendar year are covered in full (100%). After that, you will have a $5 copay for each visit.
  • If you are covered by the MIT Student Extended Plan, and you see a mental health clinician who does NOT participate in the Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) PPO, your first 52 visits in a calendar year are covered at 100 percent of the BCBS allowed amount. After that, your insurance will cover 80 percent of the allowed amount, and you will pay the other 20 percent. For all of your visits, your clinician may bill you for the difference between the BCBS allowed amount and their charges. This is something you should discuss with your clinician ahead of time.
  • If you are covered by your parents’ insurance or another insurance plan, that plan’s rules will apply. Check your statement of benefits. Plans often specify the number of visits per year that are fully covered or that require a small copayment.   

Prescriptions

If you’re enrolled in the Extended Plan, you may use the MIT Pharmacy to fill prescriptions from an outside mental health clinician without a referral.
New in 2020: Extended Plan members have no copay for generic antidepressants.

Confidentiality

MIT Medical will not release any information regarding services you receive at MIT Medical, including information about prescriptions filled at the MIT Pharmacy using your MIT Student Extended Insurance Plan coverage. However, if you are covered by a parent’s or spouse’s insurance plan, as part of the billing process, that parent or spouse may receive some information about your prescriptions or other services you receive outside of MIT Medical. For more information, call the insurance company’s billing department or look for a toll-free number for “behavioral health coverage” or “mental health coverage” on the back of your insurance card.