Extending insurance eligibility for May 2020 graduates
|Coverage for…||Monthly cost|
|Graduate and spouse/partner||$709|
|Graduate and dependent||$498|
*NOTE: These rates include premium amounts for both Extended Plan coverage and Student Medical Plan coverage, which was previously included with tuition.
All communications about the health plan will be sent to your MIT email address. MIT email addresses are valid for graduating students until January 2021.
Other insurance options
- Through an employer: If you will be working at a job that offers health insurance coverage, you’ll simply transition to your employer’s health plan.
- Through a school or university: If you will be going to graduate school in the fall, you can transition to the student health plan offered by the school you will be attending.
- Through your parents’ family plan: Under the Affordable Care Act, most young adults can be covered through their parents’ health insurance plan until they turn 26. You can get this coverage whether you’re married, living with your parents or not, in school, or financially independent. Learn more.
- On your own: If you need to buy your own health insurance coverage after graduation, try one of these options:
- Massachusetts Health Connector: If you’re staying in Massachusetts after graduation, you can use this site to compare health insurance plans and find one that meets your needs.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (BCBSMA) non-group/direct-pay insurance plans: If you’re currently enrolled in the MIT Student Extended Insurance Plan and are staying in Massachusetts, your most convenient option may be to enroll in a non-group/direct-pay insurance plan offered through BCBSMA, but you must apply before August 1 for your new coverage to be effective starting September 1 (or before January 1 for coverage effective February 1).
- HeathCare.gov: Compare health insurance plans available to you in your state, and find one that meets your needs.
NOTE: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (BCBSMA) sends out 1099-HC forms in late January to all eligible subscribers, including students covered by the MIT Student Extended Insurance Plan. If you do not receive a form by the end of February, contact BCBSMA directly at 1-800-262-2583.