Using MIT SHIP at MIT Medical
As your on-campus care provider, MIT Medical is here to keep you healthy. Here’s what you need to know about using MIT SHIP at MIT Medical:
As a student: MIT students with MIT SHIP coverage have access to MIT Medical services that are not included with tuition.
As an eligible individual: Enrollment in MIT SHIP coverage makes you and any enrolled family members eligible to receive your care at MIT Medical.
Using MIT SHIP for off-campus medical services
MIT SHIP covers medical services you receive off campus, anywhere in the country. This includes prescriptions, hospitalizations, specialized testing, and visits to clinicians, including specialists and licensed mental health providers.
Off-campus services will cost less if the provider is “in-network.” An in-network provider for MIT SHIP is one that participates in the “Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO/EPO” network. If you get your care from an in-network provider, the insurance plan will pay more of the cost, and you will pay less. How do I find an in-network provider?
You do not need a referral to access off-campus healthcare services. But the MIT Medical Referral Office is a resource that can help you find the right outside provider, help you book your first appointment, and make sure that your MIT Medical providers get reports from your outside provider.
Off-campus mental health services
MIT SHIP covers off-campus mental health services.
If you see an in-network licensed mental health provider, you will pay nothing for your first 52 visits in a calendar year — your insurance will pay 100 percent of the cost. After 52 visits in a calendar year, you will have a $5 copay for each visit until the end of the year. How do I find a licensed in-network provider?
If you see a licensed mental health provider who does not participate in the Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) PPO/EPO network:
Your insurance will pay 100 percent of the BCBS allowed amount for your first 52 visits in a calendar year. The “allowed amount” is the maximum amount that BCBS will pay for a mental health visit. If your provider charges more than the BCBS allowed amount, you will need to pay the difference.
- After 52 visits in a calendar year, your insurance will cover 80 percent of the allowed amount for each visit until the end of the year. You will pay the other 20 percent plus any difference between what your provider charges and the BCBS allowed amount.
- Make sure you understand what your out-of-pocket costs will be. Remember that your provider may ask you to pay the difference between the BCBS allowed amount and the amount they charge. This is something you should discuss with your provider ahead of time.
See also: Off-campus counseling referrals and support
How do I find an in-network provider?
By phone: 1-800-810-BLUE (2583)
On the Blue Cross Blue Shield website:
- Enter the medical specialty you are looking for, along with a location, or enter the name of a specific clinician or facility.
- Choose “PPO or EPO” from the drop-down “Select a Network” menu.
Services outside of the United States
MIT SHIP covers emergency care outside of the United States through Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core. MIT SHIP does not cover routine care outside of the United States. When you travel, be sure to bring your insurance ID card.
Locate healthcare services in another country. Use the BCBS Global Core website or the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core app to identify nearby services or call the BCBS Global Core Service Center at 1-800-810-BLUE (2583) or collect at 1-804-673-1177, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Service Center can also arrange a healthcare appointment or hospitalization for you.
Get preauthorization. To be sure your care will be covered, call the phone number on the back of your insurance ID card for precertification or preauthorization. Note: This number is different from the Service Center phone numbers above.
If you need to be hospitalized, call the BCBS Global Core Service Center at one of the numbers above to arrange for direct billing. The hospital should be able to bill BCBS directly for covered services. You will only have to pay the out-of-pocket expenses you would normally pay for out-of-network services.
If you have a doctor’s appointment that was not arranged through the BCBS Global Core Service Center, you may need to pay the full bill up front and submit a claim for reimbursement. You may submit your claim through the BCBS Global Core website or the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core app.
See also: Register your travel — MIT students can register international travel with the MIT Travel Registry. MIT requires registration for MIT-related trips and encourages students to register personal travel as well.