Each MIT employee health plan covers your care in full—less your normal copay or deductible and coinsurance—if you have a medical emergency or need urgent medical care anywhere in the world. But for Blue Cross Blue Shield to authorize coverage, you must provide notification within 48 hours. Once authorized, you will also be covered in full for one follow-up visit, if needed.
- If you receive services anywhere in Massachusetts: Notify your primary care provider at MIT Medical within 48 hours.
- If you receive services outside Massachusetts: Call Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (BCBSMA) at the toll-free number listed on the back of your insurance card.
- MIT Traditional Plan members have no coverage for non-urgent care outside of the Plan’s service area, which comprises the state of Massachusetts.
- MIT Choice Plan members may use their “out-of-network” benefit to receive care without a referral anywhere in the United States, subject to deductible and 25 percent coinsurance. In other words, you will pay for these services in full until you have satisfied your plan’s annual deductible ($500 per member or $1,000 per family). After that, you’ll pay 25 percent of the Blue Cross “allowed amount” for each visit.
Once you’ve met your annual deductible, and as long as you use Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) providers, the 25 percent coinsurance will be your only out-of-pocket cost for each visit. However, if you receive care from a provider who does not participate with his or her local BCBS network, that provider may also choose to bill you for the difference between his or her usual fee and the Blue Cross allowed amount—a practice referred to as “balance billing.” This balance-billed amount is in addition to the 25 percent coinsurance and does not count toward Blue Cross’s calculation of your annual out-of-pocket costs.
- MIT High Deductible Health Plan members are covered throughout the PPO nationwide Blue Cross Blue Shield network. No referrals are necessary. You will pay for services in full until you meet your annual deductible. After that, you’ll pay 10 percent coinsurance for services not provided at MIT Medical.
Finding Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) providers
- In this country: Members of all three plans can find a BCBS-participating healthcare provider in the United States by going to the Blue Cross Blue Shield Doctor and Hospital Finder and choosing “BlueCard Traditional” from the pull-down menu. Or just call 1-800-810-BLUE (2583).
- Outside of the country: To find a BCBS-participating provider outside of the U.S., go to Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core, and log in by entering the first three letters of the identification code on your insurance card.
MIT employees are covered by International SOS (ISOS) for emergency assistance while traveling abroad on both work-related and non-work-related trips. ISOS provides 24-hour worldwide emergency medical- and security-evacuation assistance. ISOS can also help you locate medical facilities in other countries, but you must still contact Blue Cross if you need to access medical services.
For additional information or to obtain an ISOS membership card, visit the MIT Insurance Office website or call the office at 617-324-5031. Contact ISOS by calling 215-942-8226 (you may call collect) or by visiting their website.
For other questions about MIT travel policies and coverage, visit the MIT Travel Office website. Whitehead and Draper employees should contact their respective human resources departments regarding their travel coverage.