Supervisor, Student Mental Health and Behavioral Health
Reports To: Senior Operations Manager
The Supervisor, Student Mental Health and Counseling and Behavioral Health, provides the day to day oversight of patient services portions of the service areas. This role is responsible for supervision of patient service representatives ensuring that each patient’s experience is positive and that patient flow and appointment scheduling is completed accurately as well as efficiently. The Supervisor oversees highly visible positions that have extensive patient contact, both in person and by telephone. This position appropriately prioritizes, sequences and executes administrative tasks that include but are not limited to managing the clinic’s master schedule, on call schedule, after hours protocols, provider and potential other staff requests for vacation and other time off requests, and onboarding of new hire logistics.
This role provides back-up to the Senior Operations Manager as it relates to administrative project work or interaction with venders and/or other external stakeholders. This position serves as a principal resource on all operational matters for its assigned area and may act as a consultant to other service areas on operational matters.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures that all staff greet all patients and family members in a professional and courteous manner; verifies all demographic and insurance information, making changes as necessary; ensures copy of proof of insurance card is taken, co-payments collected, transactions are logged correctly and cash reconciliation are done to provide an accurate accounting of all funds.
- Serve as the subject matter expert of health insurance plans specifically focusing on those sponsored by MIT and Medicare. Maintains basic knowledge of medical terminology for self and is done by all staff.
- Oversees the management of both inbound and outbound phone calls, emails, and/or other standard patient inquires by ensuring that the answering, screening, and routing of inquiries are done appropriately and as dictated by service area workflows.
- Oversee computerized patient appointment schedule is managed appropriately. Manages staff to safeguard that all HIPAA regulations are followed. Manages the monitoring of daily schedules and patient flow to optimize resources.
- Writes or edits all template correspondence for patients and physicians ensuring that all staff follow established protocols.
- Coordinates and distributes the evening/weekend on call provider monthly schedule at minimum 90 days in advance and make adjustments accordingly.
- Acts as the liaison to the Protocall (answering service) to ensure they have up to date schedules, informs them of changes with coverage, and contacts them to arrange additional coverage when needed.
- Assist, coordinate and maintain departmental events and programs.
- Promotes diversity and inclusion; actively seeks diversity of thought. Creates a work environment which fosters excellence, sensitivity, and leadership.
- Ensures that staffs training needs are met. Adheres to standards to meet service and customer service needs. Manages assignment of work to meet operational needs. Actively determines appropriate number, type and qualification of staff required to meet patient care needs.
- Implements, and continually adjusts as needed, standards and development programs.
- Responsible for the review and approval of vacation requests and weekly timesheets.
- Develops and troubleshoots complex schedules and anticipates impact on services workloads.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years of experience in healthcare, administration, business or other relevant discipline.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
- Proven ability to coach and develop others
- Self-directed and pro-active with strong ability to make independent decisions and work with minimal direction while keeping management informed and escalate issues as needed.
- Expert in customer service models and methodologies with the ability to motivate others
- Ability to follow step by step procedural processes
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite