Patient Services Representative, MIT Medical
Reports To: Manager, Radiology
The Patient Services Representatives supports the radiology technologists and radiologists. This position maintains patient schedules and tracks patients who need follow-up. The AS oversees correspondence for releasing or obtaining images as well as sending mammography and other imaging-related letters to patients. This position maintains inventory and participates in quality assurance activities. May be assigned special projects as needed.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and schedule mammography and ultrasound schedules appointments as needed.
- Track, call and schedule patients who need additional imaging and follow-up
- Inform clinician if patient was a no show for an ultrasound appointment or a follow up diagnostic mammogram appointment
- Ensure diagnostic mammograms are scheduled before the breast ultrasound
- Review exams for mammograms, x-ray, and ultrasound to ensure proper orders have been placed.
- Ensure that patients with special considerations (e.g., breast feeding, implants, mobility issues etc.) are scheduled for the appropriate exam based up history and chief complaint.
- Consider patients with special circumstances who:
- Are breast feeding
- Have implants
- Have mobility issues
- Are under 30 – Just ultrasound
- Are 30 and over – Mammogram, Diagnostic, Bilateral and ultrasound (schedule after the mammogram)
- Input/change orders as necessary; may need to contact Clinicians directly to enter appropriate orders
- Submit and contact outside facilities for imaging/reports as needed for upcoming exams
- Upload outside imaging into PACS for comparisons
- Send imaging and reports to outside facilities in a timely fashion to ensure relevant data is available Create digital files (e.g., CDs) with images as requested for patients
- Ensure all exams have been read by the radiologist
- Enter Parenchymal Pattern and BIRAD assessment into the radiology information system (RIS)
- Answers and resolves EMR inbox communications to the radiology pool
- Mail letters to patients and drop off/pick up and distributes radiology mail
- Request and obtain supplies from Central Supply and stock supplies and maintain inventory
- Identifies opportunity for quality and process improvements. Compiles findings into a formal recommendation and presents to management. Takes the lead to implement recommended quality improvements as approved.
- Contributes to a safe and secure environment for patient, visitors, and co-workers by following established standards and procedures; complying with all policies and regulations related to safety, cleanliness, and infection control.
- Maintains patient confidence by keeping protected health information confidential; complies with HIPAA regulations.
- All other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Education and Experience:
- High School graduate with at least 1 year of experience in the radiology office
- Must be able to push, pull, or lift objects weighing up to 20 pounds
- Majority of time is spent standing or walking
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- Ability to professionally manage frequent telephone communication with patients, clinicians, and personnel at outside medical facilities
- Must be able to multitask when appropriate while also maintaining attention to important details.
- Must be able to prioritize tasks; possesses ability to return to tasks in process prior to interruptions
- Proficiency in basic computer functions including MS Office Suite
- Professional manner and adherence to safety guidelines required
- Ability to work as part of a team and communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Detail-oriented with superb documentation skills