Reports to: Laboratory Manager
The Medical Technologist is a generalist position that will perform routine clinical laboratory tests and special tests in a CAP accredited laboratory in the departments of clinical chemistry, hematology, serology, urinalysis, and microbiology. The Medical Technologist ensures that high quality laboratory testing is performed by supporting policies and actions that are consistent with the MIT Medical Department mission and goals. Reports to the Laboratory Manager.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs testing on clinical specimens in accordance with established procedures and regulations.
- Is a generalist; has the ability and confidence to perform testing in the areas of clinical chemistry, serology, urinalysis, microbiology, and hematology.
- Performs daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance as required
- Troubleshoots problems with instruments.
- Performs QC and investigates when the QC is out of range.
- Performs phlebotomy and specimen processing as needed.
- Performs proficiency testing.
- Follows universal precautions.
- Assists in training of new staff and students as needed.
- Is able to multitask and provide coverage across departments.
- Prioritizes tasks in a complex and busy environment and sees them through to completion
- Assists the laboratory manager with projects
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology, Biology, or Chemistry required.
- Must have certification in ASCP, NCA or equivalent.
- Proven skills that fosters team work, and pro-actively takes on challenges
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomacy skills
- Comply with established risk management and safety procedures
- Comply with all local, state and federal privacy and confidentiality rules and regulations
- Sound judgment and problem solving ability
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills