Reports To: Dental Hygienist Supervisor
The Dental Hygienist is responsible for providing appropriate dental care and oral hygiene instruction to patients. Performs preventive and therapeutic treatments according to patient’s individual needs, including, but not limited to: coronal polishing, supra- and sub gingival scaling, root planning, placing sealants, application of fluoride, exposing and developing radiographs, and soft tissue management regimens, as described by law. Assisting in obtaining and updating clerical and clinical information and documenting same.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares clinical area for anticipated procedures.
- Explains procedures to be performed that insure patients have a clear understanding prior to treatment.
- Exposes PA’s, BW’s, FMX, and Panoramic digital radiographs.
- Note progress or decline in oral hygiene status since last hygiene visit. Provides appropriate, comprehensive dental hygiene treatment, as needed.
- Assist dentist during exam phase of hygiene appointment.
- Provides health maintenance and health promotion for the patient and family including teaching, counseling, advising, anticipatory guidance.
- Provides health education, supportive counseling, and clinical outreach to the MIT community in collaboration with other
- Safely and prudently administers appropriate dental treatment according to policy and procedure
- Documents medical Hx changes and is aware of effects of such changes as they relate to the delivery of dental care
- Provides for basic teaching / instructional need of patient as identified in diagnosis and treatment plan. Documents same.
- Maintains patient safety by adherence to established policies and procedures 100% of the time.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide instruction appropriate to the physical ability of patients to comply with directives.
- Evaluate appropriateness of patient’s response to care and modifies care accordingly.
- Assists in evaluation of clinical and technical performance of ancillary personnel, according to standards and scope of practice.
- Documents professionally and signs clinical notes according to department standards. Note to include subjective and objective data, hygienist assessment and the plan of treatment along with any recommended follow-up.
- Documentation must support proper and accurate billing codes for the encounter.
- Synthesizes the information from the patient history, physical exam, and laboratory data to formulate a differential diagnosis.
- Schedules recall appointments for patient using EMR Dentrix Enterprise system
- Collaborates with clinical and administrative staff in identifying performance improvement and quality control initiatives. Identifies initiatives based on clinical care outcomes and system
- Performs other duties as needed.
Minimum Required Education and Experience:
Registered Dental Hygienist with license valid in Massachusetts.
- Current CPR certification required.
- Solid communication and problem solving skills, take initiative, and work cooperatively with other Dental Service staff members.
- Requires very good eyesight with good hand/eye coordination and manual dexterity.
- Requires long periods of sitting and/or standing. At times it requires the ability to concentrate on one task for a prolonged period, and at other times one should be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Requires strict adherence to routine and repetitive tasks. May involve exposure to hazardous materials, including blood/body fluids, hazardous waste, radiation, chemicals, toxins/poisonous substances, ultraviolet light and sharp instruments.
- Expertise in use of dental hand piece and instruments, including ultrasonic type. Familiarity with x-ray exposure and developing equipment, sterilization equipment.
- Should be skilled at sharpening a variety of dental instruments.