Tuberculosis Testing

Who needs to get a tuberculosis (TB) test?

TB tests are required only for students who are identified as being at a higher risk. See pages 3 and 4 of the Student Medical Report Form to find out if you need a TB test.

What kind of TB test is required?

MIT accepts:

  • the Mantoux 5TU PPD skin test,
  • the T-spot test, or
  • the Quantiferon-Gold test.

MIT will not accept multiple puncture tests such as tine, HEAF, or Monovac.

How should the PPD TB test reaction be documented?

The TB test reaction must be documented in millimeters and signed by a physician or nurse. The physician or nurse must read the reaction within 48 to 72 hours after the test is administered.

MIT will not accept a simple reading of “positive” or “negative.”

I have received a BCG (Bacillus Calmette–Guérin) vaccine in the past. Do I still need a TB test?

Yes. You still need a TB test if you are in the higher-risk group (see pages 3 – 4 of the Medical Report Form). 

What if I’ve had a previous positive Mantoux TB test with a reaction of 10mm or greater?

If you have had a previous Mantoux TB test with a reaction of 10mm or greater, you must provide:

  1. Proof of a negative chest X-ray taken after your positive Mantoux, T-Spot, or Quantiferon-Gold TB test, and
  2. Documentation that you have no symptoms of tuberculosis.

Can I get a chest X-ray instead of a Mantoux TB test?

No. You can only substitute a chest X-ray if you have had a previous Mantoux TB test that was positive with a reaction of 10mm or greater.