You can file a Petition to Add request enrollment for yourself and/or your dependents in the MIT Student Extended Insurance Plan (which includes enrollment in the MIT Student Medical Plan) when experience a “qualifying event” that allows enrollment outside of the usual open enrollment period. This could include:
- You involuntarily lose your coverage from another comprehensive insurance plan.
- You begin school at MIT, and you want to add family members to your MIT student insurance coverage — enroll within 30 days.
- You get married, and you want to add your new spouse — enroll within 30 days.
- You have a child, and you want to add that new child — enroll within 30 days.
- Your family member enters the country for the first time, and you want to add that family member — enroll within 30 days.
- Your family member loses coverage under another insurance plan, and you want to add that family member — enroll within 60 days.
You must to log on to the Gallagher website to submit a “Petition to Add” form and supporting documentation within the time period allowed for the applicable qualifying event. If approved, your coverage will start on the date of the qualifying event.
Gallagher will contact MIT to confirm that you and/or your family members are eligible to enroll in the MIT Student Extended Insurance Plan. Once we have confirmed eligibility, we will evaluate the documentation you submitted. You will get a decision on your Petition to Add request within 5–7 business days after we confirm your eligibility.
You must submit documentation that provides proof of the qualifying event. The type of documentation depends on the type of event:
|Qualifying event||Documentation required|
|You involuntarily lose your coverage from another comprehensive health insurance plan.||Letter on letterhead or “confirmation of coverage” form that includes your full name and last date of coverage (the date your insurance coverage was terminated).|
|You begin school at MIT, and you want to enroll your family members.||Proof of relationship to student — marriage license (spouse), birth certificate (child), or passport(s)|
|Family member loses insurance coverage involuntarily, and you want to add that family member.||Letter on letterhead or “confirmation of coverage” form from family member’s insurance company. Must include family member’s full name and last date of coverage (the date their insurance coverage was terminated).|
|You got married and want to add your new spouse.||Marriage certificate or marriage license|
|You have a new baby and want to add that child.||Birth certificate|
|Family member arrived in US for first time, and you want to add that family member.||Passport showing family member’s name and date of arrival|
No, you will not have a break in coverage if the Petition to Add form and applicable documents are received within the time period allowed for your qualifying event.
Yes, the premium you pay will be prorated on a monthly basis determined by your effective date coverage.