Yes. Your eligible family members (or “dependents”) may include your spouse or “spousal equivalent” (a same-sex or opposite-sex partner you have lived with for at least four months) and your children up to 26 years of age.
There are several rules about enrolling family members:
- You must provide documentation to prove that your family members are eligible.
- You must purchase your family members’ insurance for the same time period as your own coverage.
- If you waive MIT SHIP coverage for yourself, you cannot buy MIT SHIP coverage for your family members.
- During the open enrollment period, you can enroll your family members as soon as your own enrollment is complete.
- Outside of the open enrollment period, you can enroll your family members ONLY in the case of a “qualifying event.” Learn more.
No, you only can buy MIT SHIP coverage for your dependents if you are also enrolled.