Learning to eat well
- Nutrition and Fitness: Community Wellness at MIT Medical offers this course for physical education credit through the Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (DAPER). Topics include the components and benefits of a healthy diet and physical activity, as well as tips on achieving personal goals and boosting productivity.
- Contact: 617-253-4291
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community Wellness Group Health-Coaching Classes: Community Wellness at MIT Medical offers group health-coaching classes and workshops throughout the year. Group health coaching provides opportunities for education, reflection, and support for personalized goal-setting.
- For more information and/or to register, visit our Classes & Programs page.
Resources for eating and body-image concerns
- MyLife Services provides free, confidential services for life concerns to faculty, staff, post-docs, and their family members. Services include short-term counseling and nutrition consultation, as well as referrals to counselors in your community.
Mindful eating can help us tune into our physical cues and decrease mindless or emotional eating. A mindful-eating journal or app can help in learning to practice eating this way. This mindful-eating journal lets you record your meals as well as your hunger level and emotional state while eating. This 2019 review article evaluated the content and usability of mindful eating apps and rated the best, including Am I Hungry?
Members of all three employee health plans—the MIT Traditional Health Plan, MIT Choice Plan, and MIT High Deductible Health Plan—are eligible for reimbursement of expenses related to participation in qualified weight-management programs. Qualified programs are Weight Watchers meetings, Weight Watchers at Work, and hospital-based weight-management programs. Get the details and download the weight-loss reimbursement form.
Certain Community Wellness classes may also be eligible for the weight-management reimbursement. To find out if a particular class qualifies, call Blue Cross Blue Shield Member Services at 1-800-882-1093.